Open Classes for Adults
Classes for Adults
Dance with us!
We are pleased to offer a variety of class formats to meet you where you are! Explore more information about In-Studio, Online, and On Demand Classes as well as Workshops and Private Lessons by clicking the tabs to the left.
A Note to All Participants:
Before joining a class, please take a moment to consider the appropriate class-level. See TWSB’s level descriptions to help guide you. When in doubt about which level to take, we suggest joining a lower level first.
All class formats use recorded music at this time. Pre-registration is required for all classes/workshops and registration closes 30-minutes before the class start time or when class reaches capacity.
We are excited to move with you!
Information about IN-STUDIO classes:
- Starting September 13, 2021, Adult Program students are required to show proof of full vaccination before entering the building and confirm their vaccination status when registering.
- All IN-STUDIO classes take place at Cathedral Commons (3308 Wisconsin Ave. NW, 2nd floor) unless indicated.
- Carefully read all of our Covid-19 Updates and Information before entering the studio. Note that some classes will continue to require masks.
- Arrive at the studio no earlier than 15 minutes prior to the class start time. Also note, that students will not be allowed to enter the studio after class has started.
Information about ONLINE classes:
- The Zoom Studio will open five minutes before the class start time.
- Take a moment to prepare your space and test your work area before beginning.
- For ballet classes, use your best judgment when selecting your temporary barre to ensure stability as you work. Stretch classes use a yoga mat or towel as they often include floor exercises.
- Consider the floor surface and wear appropriate footwear such as ballet slippers, socks, or bare feet depending on the class.
- Make smart choices and be mindful of your space as you work. Listen closely for options to modify exercises that may align with your environment and technique level to ensure you are working safely.
You can also view additional suggestions to keep moving in our Resource Guide.
Open Class Schedule
Adult Program students are required to be fully vaccinated and are asked to confirm their vaccination status when registering. *Masks in class are optional unless indicated.
Open Class Schedule:
Please check the registration system for faculty substitutions.
11:00AM-12:30PM ET, In-Studio/Online: Beginner II Ballet with Lisae Jordan
12:30PM-1:30PM ET, In-Studio/Online: Stretch & Lengthen with Lisae Jordan
7:00PM-8:30PM ET, In-Studio/Online: Beginner I Ballet with Jessy Dick
10:00AM-11:30AM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate I Ballet with Nancie Woods *Masks Req’d
7:30PM-8:30PM ET, In-Studio at THEARC $15: Modern Dance with Katherine Smith *Masks Req’d
7:30PM-9:00PM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginning Ballet with Rafael Bejarano
7:45PM-9:00PM ET, In-Studio: Beginner II Ballet with Nancie Woods *Masks Req’d
9:30AM-11:00AM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Royce Zackery
12:00PM-1:30PM ET, In-Studio/Online: Beginner II Ballet with Shu-Chen Cuff
7:00PM-8:30PM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Elizabeth Gaither
10:00AM-11:30AM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate II Ballet with Aaron Jackson *Masks Req’d
12:00PM-1:30PM ET, In-Studio: Beginner I Ballet with Constance Dinapoli
7:45PM-9:00PM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Royce Zackery
7:30PM-9:00PM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate I Ballet with Tamas Krizsa
9:30AM-11:00AM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Tamas Krizsa
9:30AM-11:00AM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate II Ballet with Aaron Jackson *Masks Req’d
11:00AM-12:00PM ET, In-Studio: New to Ballet Fundamentals with Miya Hisaka *Masks Req’d
12:00PM-1:30PM ET, In-Studio: Beginner I Ballet with Royce Zackery
12:30PM-2:00PM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate II Ballet with Roger Plaut *Masks Req’d
10:00AM-11:30AM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Bahareh Sardari
10:00AM-11:30AM ET, In-Studio: Intermediate II with Linda Baranovics
11:30AM-1:00PM ET, In-Studio: Beginning Pointe with Miriana Lausic Arratia *Masks Req’d
1:30PM-3:00PM ET, In-Studio: Advanced Beginner Ballet with Miriana Lausic Arratia *Masks Req’d
1:30PM-3:00PM ET, In-Studio/Online: Beginner II Ballet with Miya Hisaka *Masks Req’d
Open classes are available for students to take as their schedule allows. There are two open class formats: In-Studio and Online. All require advance registration.
- IN-STUDIO: Taken by students in a TWB studio with the faculty member teaching from the same studio.
- ONLINE: Taken by students via Zoom from their personal studio space.
Please carefully read our Covid-19 Safety Protocols and Procedures before registering for an IN-STUDIO class. Advance registration is required for ALL classes and registration closes 30-minutes before the class start time or when class has reached capacity.
All IN-STUDIO classes take place at Cathedral Commons (3308 Wisconsin Ave. NW, 2nd floor) unless indicated.
How to Register & Purchase Classes:
- Login to your Student account or Create a new account Read our step-by-step instructions for registering here.
- Class Pricing:
- ONLINE Classes: $13
- IN-STUDIO Classes: $20
- IN-STUDIO Classes at THEARC: $15
- All classes require advance registration. Registration is available one week before the class day/time and closes 30 minutes prior to the class time.
- Students who have previously purchased class packages and have remaining in-studio credits on their account are welcome to use them for in-studio classes. Read our registration guide and FAQs here.
Upcoming School Closures:
- Monday, August 29 – Monday, September 5, 2022: Adult classes are cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, September 6.
- Monday, October 10, 2022: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, October 11.
- Friday, November 11, 2022: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Saturday, November 12.
- Wednesday, November 23 – Friday, November 25, 2022: On 11/23, morning classes will be held as regularly scheduled and all evening classes will be cancelled. 11/24-11/25 TWSB will be closed and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Saturday, November 26.
- Saturday, December 24 – Monday, December 26, 2022: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, December 27.
- Saturday, December 31, 2022 – Monday, January 2, 2023: On 12/31, morning classes will be held as regularly scheduled and all evening classes will be cancelled. 1/1-1/2 TWSB will be closed and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
- Monday, January 16, 2023: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, January 17.
- Monday, February 20, 2023: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Tuesday, February 21.
- Monday, May 29 – Sunday, June 4, 2023: Adult classes are cancelled. Classes resume on Monday, June 5.
- Tuesday, July 4, 2023: TWSB will be closed for the holiday and all classes cancelled. Classes resume Wednesday, July 5.
Class and Level Descriptions
New to Ballet Fundamentals
This 60-minute class is a basic ballet class for absolute beginners. No previous experience necessary. This class introduces novice students to the fundamentals of ballet technique and focuses on: alignment, stretching, strengthening, balance, floor work, full barre, center, movement, and incorporates basic terminology and dance history. Upon completion for a semester, it builds confidence and prepares one to attend Beg. 1 class.
Skills – Plies, tendus, degages, developpes and gran battements, preparation for pirouettes; basic foot and arm positions, 7 basic forms of motor movement (walking, skipping, triplets, sautes, assembles, chasses, jetes).
Beginner Ballet I
Prerequisite: Highly recommend students to take New to Ballet Fundamentals before attending Beg. 1.
This class is for beginners who may be returning after many years away from the art form and wishing to ease back into ballet. May not be for novice students. This class introduces basic terminology and foundational ballet technique with a focus on proper alignment. Repetition is critical for students at this level, so participating in two or more classes per week is encouraged to progress into the next level.
Skills – Full barre including fondus, rond de jambes, en dehors pirouettes, incorporation of basic foot and arm positions with movement, waltzes, piques, chaines, tombe pas de bourre, beginning of petite allegro, incorporate basic steps into simple movement combinations (8 count gran allegro).
Beginner Ballet II
This class is for beginner students who already have a foundational understanding of ballet terminology and technique. It is a perfect class for those who have studied ballet in the past and are returning to the art form after many years or after recovering from an injury. Class material advances from the Beginner 1 level to include slightly more complex movements and coordination.
Skills – Full barre adding in frappes, simple adagio, en dehor and en dedans pirouettes, more complex combinations using basic foot and arm positions, waltzes in all directions, simple adagio, petite and grand allegro, simple combinations utilizing all material learned to date in longer phrases.
Advanced Beginner Ballet
This class is a progression from Beginner Ballet 2 classes. Students in this level have attended ballet classes regularly in recent years or throughout adolescence. A deep knowledge and understanding of ballet terminology, ballet technique alignment principles, and execution of core ballet technique is expected.
Skills – Full barre that increases in complexity and pace, frappes, rond de jambe en l’air, adagio, en dehors and en dedans and attitude pirouettes, more complex center combinations, waltzes used in combinations, simple adagio and petite allegro, grand allegro, 16 count combinations utilizing all material learned to date.
Intermediate Ballet I
This class is for the more proficient and experienced student with a minimum of 5 years training who is looking for an Intermediate level class that moves at a slightly slower pace. A deep knowledge and understanding of ballet terminology and alignment principles, as well as the ability to execute core ballet technique is expected. This class will remain at the Intermediate level of technique, however, barre combinations and center work will cater to students who prefer a slightly slower pace and want to concentrate on improving existing levels of technique.
Intermediate Ballet II
This class is for the more proficient and experienced student with a minimum of 5 years training who is looking for an Intermediate level technique class that moves at a brisk pace. A deep knowledge and understanding of ballet terminology and alignment principles, as well as the ability to execute core ballet technique is expected. The class will move at a quicker pace than all other class levels with students executing complex movement sequences with more developed strength and proficiency.
Beginning Pointe for Adults – Begins in Fall 2023
Students should be at an advanced beginner/intermediate level of ballet and should be taking at least 2-3 other technique classes/week. This class is open for novice pointe students but is recommended for those with some experience dancing on pointe. This class focuses on strengthening the feet and ankles, proper alignment, and maximum lengthening of the body. Skills gained in this class help support the adult dancer in their other technique classes in soft slippers. This class will guide students through exercises to progress their pointe work starting at a beginning level. The majority of each class will be spent at the barre before moving to center work for the last 15-30 minutes of class. If this is your first pointe class, please purchase your shoes prior to first day of class. You should not sew on your ribbons and elastics if you want the advice from your instructor if your shoe is the best fit for you. For the safety of our adult students, the use of pointe shoes is at the instructor’s discretion.
Skills – A full barre,usually facing the barre, focusing on being on pointe as much as possible. Strength building exercises at the barre such as echappes, fondues, piques. In the center, bourres and preparations for pirouettes.
Stretch & Strengthen
This is a 60-minute total body conditioning class inspired by dancers, but applicable to all body types and ages. This class focuses on developing more range of motion and strength for joints, as well as toning, refining, and lengthening key muscle groups used in dance. This is a perfect class to build strength or take as a warm up before a full ballet class.
Stretch & Lengthen
This is a 60-minute class focused on the gentle lengthening of fascia and loosening of joints. After a standing warm-up, the class moves to a mat (or towel or carpet) to stretch major muscle groups. Modifications are offered so everyone can participate. Bring a tennis ball and a theraband or kitchen towel, if you have one. This is a perfect addition to your weekly schedule to spend time stretching or to take as a warm up before or cool down to a ballet class.
Workshops provide focused attention for students in a particular level, style, or area of technique and additional options from the ongoing open class schedule to train with TWSB faculty, Company dancers, and artistic leaders. Workshops vary in length but are typically held in one to eight-week sessions.
In-Studio: Back to the Barre Workshop with Linda Baranovics
Days/Dates: Sundays, July 10-31 (4-week session)
Location: Cathedral Commons (3308 Wisconsin Ave, NW)
Cost: $80, pre-registration for entire workshop is required
This workshop is for students who have taken a few years away from the barre due to injury, the pandemic, lack of time, or any number of reasons. You’ll enjoy a 60-minute ballet barre focused on helping you mindfully re-enter the studio, regain strength, beauty, and return to your love of ballet where it all began – Back to the Barre! This workshop is intended for students with previous training and IS NOT recommended for beginner students.
In-Studio: Variations Workshop: Les Sylphides with Nancie Woods
Days/Dates: Saturdays, August 6 & 13
Time: 11:00am-1:00pm, ET
Location: Cathedral Commons (3308 Wisconsin Ave, NW)
Cost: $35 for a single class or $65 for the entire workshop
Looking to expand your dancing beyond the barre? In this two week workshop, you will have the opportunity to learn romantic ballet choreography from the classical ballet Les Sylphides. Each session will include a 60-minute ballet warm up including barre + centre work and a 5-10 minute break before moving into 60-minutes of learning the variation. Each session will focus on a different variation: August 6 will explore the Prelude variation and August 13 will explore the Waltz variation. Sign up for one or both sessions! Classes are intended for students at an Advanced Beginner to Intermediate level.
On Demand Classes
On Demand Classes
Don’t miss our full On Demand Library of OVER 80 videos to enjoy! Classes include 30-minute, 60-minute, and 90-minute formats in various styles and levels including: Body Conditioning such as Yoga and Pilates, Beginner Ballet 1, Beginner Ballet 2, and Advanced Beginner Ballet.
Purchase On Demand videos for $8 and enjoy for seven days. Students may repurchase videos for continued viewing.
Follow these steps to access and purchase On Demand classes:
- Login to your Student account or Create a new account
- Need help with your password or accessing an existing account? Email email@example.com
- Once logged in, select the “TWSB for Adults” tab.
- Select “On Demand Videos” to see all available videos. Select “On Demand Video Playlist” to view groups of videos organized by series or level.
- To purchase and view videos, select the film icon, then click “Make Your Payment.” Click “video list,” then click the film icon in the top left corner.
- After purchasing, you will have access to the video for seven days.
View your purchased video by logging into your student account. Click “Video List,” then click the film icon in the top left corner.
How to Register and FAQs
How to Register & Purchase Classes:
Login to your Student account or Create a new account Select the “TWSB for Adults” tab, then “Class Schedule” tab. There you will see all open, drop-in classes and workshops available for registration. Open, drop-in classes are only open for registration seven days in advance.
Once registered for class, you will receive a confirmation email to join class. Advanced registration is required for ALL classes/workshops. Registration closes 30 minutes prior to the class start time or when the class reaches capacity.
Cómo Registrarse y Pagar por las Clases: Ingrese a su cuenta de estudiante o puede crearse una nueva cuenta. Seleccione la pestaña “TWSB para adultos” y luego la pestaña “Horario de Clases”. Allí encontrará todas las clases con transmisión en vivo y los talleres en línea. Estos estarán disponibles para registro. Lea el manual con instrucciones paso por paso para registrarse aqui. Cuando se haya registrado, recibirá una confirmación por email con la información del Zoom para la clase. La registración cierra 20 minutos antes del comienzo de la clase o si la clase llega a su capacidad máxima.